There are four Hendrickson children in the Indiana area at the time that John and Sarah Hardin Hendrickson are there. I call them “unparented” because no one seemed to know who their parents were, and there were no existing records to prove parentage.
- Richard Hendrickson who marries Margaret McKibbens (1831 Bartholomew County, Indiana) and Sarah Cruz (1850 Bartholomew County, Indiana).
- John F Hendrickson who marries Margaret Beavers in 1836 Clark County, Illinois.
- Alexander B Hendrickson who marries an unknown first wife, then marries Melcina Dehart in 1851 Coles County, Illinois. (We know Alexander and John are related because Alexander is living with John in 1850.)
- Mary E Hendrickson who marries Alexander Breeding in 1832 Shelby County, Indiana.
One clue is that every single one of Richard’s, John’s, Alexander’s, and Mary’ descendants have “Hardin Only” DNA matches
Doing an analysis of the 1810, 1820 and 1830 census records, shows that John and Sarah Hardin Hendrickson DO have missing children. (The last three children from the 1830 census are probably their grandchildren via their son William, not their children.)
Richard’s records say he was born in Kentucky, and his records start in Bartholomew, and at the same time, his parents and brother James would be in Shelby County, the county next door. But the Adair County, Kentucky Hendricksons, including Elizabeth Hendrickson married to a Breeding, are in Bartholomew County, Indiana in the same 1820/1830 time frame as John and Sarah Hardin Hendrickson.
Looking at the Adair County, Kentucky Hendricksons (who are related to the Washington/Mercer County, Kentucky Hendricksons through John and Eve Hendrickson,) they migrate to Bartholomew. But on their census records, none of them has children of the right age as Richard, Mary, Alexander and John.
But John and Sarah Hardin have exactly the right children in the right age ranges on their census records.
Coles, Edgar, and Clark counties in Illinois are right across the river from Vermillion County, Indiana, which is where John and Sarah Hardin Hendrickson live, right before they leave in the 1840s to go to Green County, Wisconsin.
Some other coincidences that make sense if these four people are the children of John and Sarah Hardin Hendrickson:
- Alexander B Hendrickson’s second wife if Melcina Dehart. Her sister, Julie Ann Dehart, marries Thomas Rice, grandson of John and Sarah Hardin Hendrickson. Thomas Rice is the son of Thompson and Sarah Hendrickson Rice, in 1851 Coles County. Sarah Hendrickson Rice is the daughter of John and Sarah Hardin Hendrickson..
- In 1850, Alexander B Hendrickson is living with his brother, John F. Hendrickson and Margaret Beavers Hendrickson.
- John and Margaret Beavers Hendrickson buy land in Green County, Wisconsin, where his parents and many of his siblings move after they leave Vermillion County, Indiana.
- Mary E Hendrickson is the second wife of Alexander Breeding (of Adair County, Kentucky). His first wife is Elizabeth Hendrickson, Mary’s cousin.
- Several of Richard’s siblings each name a son “Richard.”
So, there’s no document that proves these four people are the children of John and Sarah Hardin Hendrickson. But if you’re from one of these lines, and you have Hardin DNA matches that go back to Moses Hardin and Mary Angelina Ball (and the Hardin family from Overwharton Parish, Stafford County, Virginia), you’ve found your family!
For those of you on Ancestry.com, you can see John and Sarah Hardin Hendrickson’s tree here:
The line-up of John and Sarah Hardin Hendrickson’s children is:
- William, who marries Sarah Thompson, his first cousin on the Hardin side.
- An unknown son born around 1805, probably dies young.
- James, marries Nancy McGibbens and Jane Billingsley.
- Sarah, marries Thompson Rice.
- Mary E, marries Alexander Breeding.
- Richard, marries Margaret McKibbens (no relation to Nancy McGibbens that I know of!), and Sarah Cruz.
- Lucinda, who marries four times: William David Livengood, Peter Mitchell, James Kelly, Daniel Richmond.
- John F Hendrickson marries Margaret Beavers.
- Thomas Nelson Hendrickson, marries a first unknown wife, second wife is Sarah Lang.
- Alexander B Hendrickson, marries a first unknown wife, second wife is Melcina Dehart.